History of Wrabness
Primrose Hill, Wrabness
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Wrabness >> Kelly's Directory 1895
Description of Wrabness in 1895.
WRABNESS is a village and parish, and derives its name from its situation on a ness or promontory in the frith of the river Stour: it is on the main road leading from Harwich to Manningtree, and has a station on the Harwich and Manningtree branch of the Great Eastern railway, 6½ miles west from the former, 6 east from the latter and 15 north-east from Colchester, in the North Eastern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division and union of Tendring, Harwich county court district, rural deanery of Ardleigh and Harwich, archdeaconry of Colchester and diocese of St. Albans.
The church of All Saints is a plain building of rubble, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch: the belfry, a picturesque ivy-clad structure, containing 1 bell, stands detached in the churchyard: in the chancel is a tablet to the Rev. Robert Riche (1728), 27 years rector of this parish and 48 years vicar of Ramsey. The register of baptisms dates from 1650; burials, 1681: marriages, 1684. The liwing is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £245; net yearly value £285, with residence and 58 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1837 by the Rev. Anthony Cox Fenn B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge.
There is a small Wesleyan chapel here. A charity of 6s.8d. yearly is distributed in bread.
Edgar Walter Garland esq. of Ramsey, Harwich, who is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late Thomas Glover Kensit esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is of a mixed nature; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 1,112 acres of land and 390 of water; rateable value, £2,794; the population in 1891 was 264.
Parish Clerk, William Rowland. Letters received from Manningtree via Bradfield. The Pillar Box closes at 5.30 p.m. in winter & 6 p.m. in summer. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Mistley Pillar Box (Station), cleared at 5.50 p.m.
National School (mixed), built in 1872 and enlarged 1875, for 80 children; average attendance, 56; Miss Fanny Canty, mistress.
Railway Station, George Nunn, station master.
Back to History of Wrabness