History of Ulting
All Saints Church, Ulting
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Ulting >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ULTING is a small parish of scattered houses, on the north side of the river Chelmer, 4 miles South by West of Witham, and 8 miles East by North of Chelmsford. It contains 150 inhabitants, and 1141A. 2R, 8P. of land, including 22½½A. of wood, 17A. waste, and 11½ a river.
The Trustees of the late Ralph Nicholson, Esq., are impropriators of the rectory, and lords of the manor, which has been held by the Baynard, Ulting, Bourchier, Heneage, Banks, and other families; but a great part of the soil belongs to G. B. M. Lovibond, Esq., Messrs. John Pigot, J. Pledger, Robert Francis, and several smaller freeholders; there being only about 50A. of copyhold land in the parish.
The manor of Mugdon Hall is partly in this parish, but mostly in Hatfield Peverel and Little Baddow.
The Church (All Saints,) is a small ancient stone edifice of early English architecture, standing on a gentle slope, near the river, and having a wooden turret, crowned by a shingled spire.
Some of the original oak benches remain, and also the old font, but the carving of the latter is much defaced.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7.4s.2d., and in 1831 £125. The Master and Fellows of Sidney College, Cambridge, are patrons, and the Rev. Charles Varney Shuckburgh, of Langford, is the incumbent. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £187.17s.6d., and the vicarial for £164.12s.6d. per annum. A New Vicarage House has recently been erected of white brick.
Back to History of Ulting