History of Tiptree
St Lukes's Church, Tiptree. Built 1855 when Tiptree became a parish in its own right.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Tiptree >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
See also the entry for Great Braxted.
Ship Inn, Tiptree
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
TIPTREE HEATH, which extends into many parishes in this and three adjoining Hundreds, has a priory, fair, and races.
As late as the beginning of the present century, more than 2000 acres of this heath were open and uncultivated, but its various unenclosed patches now only comprise about 500 acres. This once extensive waste is now divided among a number of the parishes, in radiating slips, some of which are from 3 to 8 miles from their respective parish churches.
The last great improvement here is Tiptree Hall Farm, in Tollesbury parish, 4 miles South South East of Kelvedon, and 6 miles North East of Maldon. This farm, when purchased a few years ago by its present owner, John Joseph Mechi, Esg., of London, was one of the worst in the county.
It comprises 128 acres, and was purchased by Mr. Mechi for £3250; but he has since expended upwards of £7000, in draining and improving the land, and in the erection of a handsome residence, and extensive and well arranged farm-buildings, of brick, iron, and slate; with an efficient thrashing machine, including machinery for shaking the straw, dressing the corn, cutting chaff, bruising oats, etc.
As a model farm, where many experiments have been successfully carried out, it is visited by many agriculturists of this and neigbbouring counties; and their opinions, recorded in the visitors' book, are highly complimentary to the spirit and enterprise of the owner.
Near it is the farm or Tiptree House, an old Elizabethan mansion, in the occupation of Mr. W. Wakeling, and in Great Braxted parish.
Back to History of Tiptree