History of Stisted
All Saints Church, Stisted.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Stebbing >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
STISTED, a pleasant village on the northern acclivity of the vale of the Blackwater, 3 miles East by North of Braintree, has in its parish 911 inhabitants, and 2970 acres of land, in some parts low and in others hilly, with corresponding varieties of soil, and a good proportion of woodland.
O. S. Onley, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil. He resides at Stisted Hall, a large and handsome mansion, built in 1826-7, on the site of the ancient manor house, in a finely wooded park of about 100 acres, rising gradually from the river Blackwater. The entrance front has a large and elegant Ionic portico, and the entire mansion is finished in the improved style of modern architecture.
Before the Norman Conquest, the lordship of Stisted was given to the monks of Christchurch, Canterbury, who held it till the dissolution. In 1549, it was purchased by Sir Thos. Wiseman, and in 1685, it was sold to William Lingwood, Esq., who left it to his third wife. The latter died in 1719, and bequeathed the manor to John Savill, Esq., who left it to his brother. One of the two co-heiresses of the latter carried it in marriage to the Rev. Charles Onley, from whom the present owner is descended.
The manor of Rayne Hatch and Boultwoods, in the northern part of the parish belongs to Clopton's Hospital, at Bury St. Edmund's, and about 50 acres of the farm, bearing the former name, are in Braintree parish.
Sir J. B. Pechell, Mr J. F. Baines, Mr. Isaac King, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish, mostly freehold. Peckstones, a farm of about 40A., belongs to the Free School at Earl's Colne.
Stisted Hall and Church
print published 1834
The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient structure, but the chancel was restored by the rector some years ago. In 1844, O. S. Onley, Esq., rebuilt the tower, and placed in it a new peal of six bells. In the chancel are five lancet windows, enriched with stained glass given by Mr. Onley. The nave is separated from the chancel by Norman arches, and its restoration is in contemplation.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £22, and in 1831 at £532, is in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and incumbency of the Rev. Chas. Forster, B.D., who has 157A. of glebe, and a handsome residence, built in 1839, when the tithes were commuted. Here is a small Independent Chapel, built in 1835.
This parish participates in the Free School at Earl's Colne, and the poor have £12 a year out of the Stisted Hall estate, left by the Rev. Chas Onley, about 1802, for distribution in coals. Mr. Onley and the rector support two small schools for poor children.
Back to History of Stisted