History of Pentlow
St George's and St Gregory's Church, Pentlow.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Pentlow >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
PENTLOW, a scattered village, pleasantly situated on the south side of the Stour Valley, 3½ miles East of Clare, opposite Cavendish, in Suffolk, has in its parish 364 souls, and 1805 acres of land.
H.C. Mathew, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at Pentlow Hall, a fine ancient mansion, which has recently been repaired and enlarged, and is encompassed by well wooded grounds, near the river.
It was successively held by the Baynard, Fitzwalter, Ratcliff, Fitz-Humphrey, Norman, Cavendish, Felton, Kemp, and other families, some of whom were long seated here.
A great part of the parish belongs to Earl Howe, the Rev. Edward Pemberton, J. Sperling, Esq., and several smaller owners, mostly freeholders.
The quit-rents of Bowers Hall, an ancient manor and farm-house, belong to Hill's Charity, at Long Melford, but the estate belongs to J. Sperling, Esq.
The Church (St. Gregory,) is an interesting structure of great antiquity, having a semicircular east end, and a round tower, containing five bells.
The architecture is a mixture of the pure Norman and pointed styles, and the large stone font has a wooden covering, ornamented in the florid style of the time of Henry Vll. The walls of the tower are of flint, 4 feet thick.
On the north side of the chancel is Kemp's Chapel, in which is a very fine tomb, on which are recumbent effigies of Judge Kemp, his lady, and his son John, who died in the early part of the 17th century. Round the tomb are 14 kneeling figures of children.
The Chapel window is filled with stained glass, and the roof is divided into compartments, with Gothic quartrefoils, etc. In the chancel is a curious old tomb of the Feltons, who were connected by marriage with the noble family of Hervey.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £445, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Edw. Bull, who has 19A. 1R. 33P. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence.
The tithes commuted in 1838, for £518 per annum.
In 1715, Susan Gooch left a house and 16A. 3R. 14P. of land, in trust with the church-wardens and rector, for the relief of three poor men and three poor widows, above 55 years of age. This property is now let for £20 per annum.
Back to History of Pentlow