History of Pebmarsh
St John the Baptist's Church, Pebmarsh.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Pebmarsh >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
PEBMARSH, a village, near the source of a rivulet, 3 miles North of Halstead, has a large silk factory, and its parish contains 614 souls, and 1978 acres of land.
Lady Puller is lady of the manor, which was anciently held by the Bigod and Fitz-Ralph families, the latter of whom took the surname of De Pebmers, and were long seated at the Hall, which stood in Castle Meadow.
J. Sperling, Esq., the Rev. W.H. Chapman, Capt. Carter, Mrs. Bygrave, and several residents, have estates in the parish.
The farm called Spoons Hall belongs to the Earl of Verulam, who is patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £457, and now in the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. E.H. Grimston, M.A., who has 26A.2R. of glebe, and a handsome residence, built about six years ago.
The Church (St. John the Baptist,) is a fine ancient structure, which was repewed about 16 years ago, when a gallery was erected. It has a tower and three bells, and its spacious aisles are separated from the nave by light pillars, supporting Gothic arches.
The tithes were commuted in 1838, for £683 per annum.
A fair for toys and pleasure is held here on June 24th; and here is a farmers' club, called the Pebmarsh Society.
The parish school was built in 1787, and, as a Sunday school, is endowed with £7.14s.4d. per annum, arising from stock purchased with £200 left by the Hon. and Rev. H.G. Bucknall, in 1817.
The parish has long held, for the use of the poor, a cottage and garden, occupied by paupers, and a cottage and 3R. of land, let for £5 per annum. The poor have also 20s. a year year from Wincoll's Charity
Back to History of Pebmarsh