History of Maldon
High Street, Maldon, 1906
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Maldon >> Education in Maldon
Education in Maldon
Reports and returns on schools and education in Maldon. These allow a glimpse into the education your ancestors may have received if they were from this parish.
"All Saints Parish Population 719. About a century ago, Dr Plume Dean of Rochester left by will two estates for various charitable purposes, and among these for educating clothing and apprenticing 10 poor boys; in 1811, the numbers were increased by the trustees to 15, and the following year to 20; and in 1630, Mrs Wentworth left a tenement in Maldon for charitable uses, and directed that out of the profits the trustees should pay yearly for the education of 3 poor boys, who were about three years since increased to 5.
In 181,7 a daily school was established for the general education of the children of the poor. In this school the children of the above charities are now educatedm and the master has a salary of £100 a year, which is paid in part by the trustees of the said two endowments, and in part by voluntary contributions.
The vicar mentions that in Morant's History of Essex, it is stated that 'Ralph Breeder, one of the aldermen of this borough, who died 2d March 1608, gave £300 for the purchase of an estate for the maintenance of a master, to be appointed by the bailiff's and aldermen, to teach a grammar school'. This, together with the charter and other property belonging to the corporation, is said to have been lost about 50 years ago. The charter was restored in 1810; and part of the property it is understood has since been recovered.
St Mary Parish Population 927. Three schools containing 67 scholars.
St Peter Parish Population 1,033. See All Saints [above]"
Source: Digest of Parochial Returns. Select Committee on Education of the Poor, 1818
"All Saints Parish Population 815. One Infant School (commenced 1826) in which are 7 males and 5 females. One Daily School (commenced 1826) wherein are 4 males and 18 females. Two Day and Boarding Schools: whereof one contains 73, and the other (commenced 1821) 23 males; in all the above Schools, the instruction is at the expense of the parents.
St Mary Parish Population 1,146. Two Daily Schools: whereof one contains from 10 to 20 children of both sexes, and the other (commenced 1832) 5 males and 15 females, all of whom receive instruction at the expense of their parents.
St Peter Parish Population 1,870. Three Daily Schools: in one of which (commenced 1820) are 17 children of both sexes; in another (commenced 1823) 20 females; and in the other (commenced 1830) 40 males; in these Schools the children are instructed at the expense of their parents. Four Day and Sunday Schools: one containing 129 males, and another 134 females, daily, with 2 additional in each School; on Sundays these are partly supported by endowment, partly by subscription, and partly by small payments from the children; the other two respectively contain 147 males and 148 females, and are supported by voluntary contributions, and penny weekly payments from the parents of the children."
Source: House of Commons papers, Volume 41. Abstract of Education Returns 1833
Detailed report on Maldon Grammar School in the House of Commons paper Volume 28, Part 11, on Endowed Grammar Schools.
Back to History of Maldon