History of Little Waltham
Little Waltham, c.1960
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Little Waltham >> Little Waltham Court Cases
Little Waltham Court Cases
For a full explanation of these court cases and how to further research them, please look at our Essex Court Cases page.
The information is supplied in the following format:
- (d) defendant's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (v) victim's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (w) witness names, age and occupation (when given)
- Place offence committed and places mentioned where the (d), (v) or (w) lived. Some of the defendants may have been from neighbouring parishes not mentioned by name, or itinerant wanderers.
- The court hearing the case.
- The source newspaper.
- (d) Thomas Moore 30 labourer
- (v) Maurice William Bird farmer
- Little Waltham
- Essex Assizes
- Ipswich Journal 9 March 1844
- (d) Amelia Inners and Sarah Inners
- (v) Eliza Joslin and Susannah Joslin
- Little Waltham
- Chelmsford Petty Sessions
- Morning Chronicle 25 January 1832
- (d) William Cook 14 hawker, Samuel Richardson 12 labourer, Arthur Key 13 errand boy
- (v) John Poulton and Ann French
- Little Waltham and Chelmsford
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1860 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
- (d) Julia Kelly wife of Edward Kelly 43, Elizabeth Davis 37 hawker
- (v) Josiah Gosling
- Little Waltham
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1865 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
- (d) John Thomas Sams 20 farm labourer, William Brown 18 farm labourer
- (v) William Everett, William Bott
- Little Waltham, Bloomfield
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1870 Q/SMc 10, page 17 Essex Record Office
Back to History of Little Waltham
Find your Essex Ancestors in the Parish Registers
The Essex Record Office 'ERO' are custodians of the parish registers of Essex. Ancestry.co.uk have now transcribed the entire collection of Essex parish registers. Search now on Ancestry for your Essex ancestors. Then on the results page click on ‘request image’ and you will be taken to the ERO website where you can purchase an image of the relevant page.
Visit our Parish Registers of Essex page for more information.
Find your Ancestors in the Newspapers
Newspaper archives are now a very important source of information for researching your family tree.
Try our example search to help you discover if your ancestors are in the British Newspaper Archive.
Little Waltham - Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, 1798
Little Waltham - First Series Ordnance Survey Map 1805
This work is based on data provided through www.VisionofBritain.org.uk and uses historical material which is copyright of the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth. Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence BY-SA-4.0
Looking for pictures to add to your family tree album?
Ebay is a good source of old images of Essex towns and villages. If you're looking for pictures to add to your family tree album, then try one of the auctions, or there are several 'Buy It Now' shops offering postcards which have been touched up and improved - so if you're unsure about bidding, try these.
Link below already formatted for Essex and Postcards.