History of High Easter
View from the church tower, High Easter, c.1960
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of High Easter >> Kelly's Directory 1895
Description of High Easter in 1895.
HIGH EASTER is a parish and village 5½ miles south from Dunmow station, on the Bishop's Stortford, Dunmow and Braintree line of the Great Eastern railway and 10 north-west from Chelmsford, in the Western division of the county, Dunmow hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Roding, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St. Albans.
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of rubble in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, with a clerestory of red brick, supposed to have been added in 1480, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: the original church, which probably included only a chancel, nave and tower, was of Norman date; the only part of this work now existing is the nave, which has been much altered by the addition of a north aisle and the introduction of Decorated windows in the south side: portions of the walls and the south doorway only remain to represent the original work: the Norman nave was probably erected in the 12th century; a Purbeck slab with some fragments of a brass legend, relating to one of the Gate family, represents the monumental remains; and there is a fine Early English font; the church was thoroughly restored in 1865 at a cost of £2,200.
The register dates from the year 1654. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £307, net yearly value £250, with 13 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held since 1849 by the Rev. Edward Francis Gepp M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, who is rural dean of Roding and J.P. for Essex. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the impropriators of the great tithes, commuted at £1,007.
Here is a Congregational chapel seating 300 persons.
The Queen is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Rayleigh, trustees of the late John Joliffe Tufnell esq; Sir B. Powell Henniker, bart. of 71 Eccleston Square, London; F. J. and J. R. Matthews esqrs. and the trustees of the late Lord Dacre.
The soil is clay; subsoil, clayey loam. The chief crops are wheat, beans and barley. The area is 4,826 acres; rateable value, £3,731; the population in 1891 was 690.
Parish Clerk, Edward Porter. Post & M.O,O, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- John Sach, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Chelmsford by foot post from Great Waltham; arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. in winter & 5 p.m. in summer. The nearest telegraph office is at Great Waltham .
Schools. National (mixed), for 201 children; average attendance, 6o; Miss Camilla Craig, mistress.
Manning Prentice Memorial School (mixed), erected in 1893 by Mrs. Newberry, in connection with the Congregational chapel, for 100 children; average attendance, 73; Miss Mary McDowall, mistress.
Carriers to Chelmsford.-Alfred Franklin, tues. and fri.; Joseph Mead, mon. and fri.
Back to History of High Easter