History of Eastwood
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Eastwood >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
EASTWOOD, a village and parish, 1½miles South West of Rochford, and 3½ miles North North West of Southend, has its name from its situation eastward of the extensive woods of Rayleigh and Thundersley. It has 596 inhabitants. and 3216 acres of land, which was granted by Edward the Confessor to Suene.
Robert Bristow, Esq., is now lord of the manor, but Eastwoodbury estate is the seat and property of W.W. Wren, Esq.; and some other proprietors have estates here, among whom are Sir Thomas Neave, D.R. Scratton, Esq., and several resident freeholders.
St Laurence and All Saints' Church, Eastwood.
© Copyright Julieanne Savage contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Lawrence and All Saints,) is a antique structure, consisting of a nave and chancel with aisles, and a tower containing four bells and crowned with a spire.
The following is a translation of a Latin inscription over the principal entrance door, "May peace rule those entering, and those going out."
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 183l at £230, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. George Price, M.A., of Fryerning, who has 16A. of glebe and a small Parsonage House, occupied by the curate. The tithes were commuted in 1842. Robert Bristow, Esq., is impropriator of the rectory.
The Sunday school is well attended, and some of the children of this parish attended, and the National School at Rochford.
The poor have 20s. a year from Sudbury's Charity Eastwood Lodge, is an ancient farm house, on an eminence, two miles West of the village.
Part of Wallasea Island belongs to this parish, though distant from it more than miles East North East.
Back to History of Eastwood