History of East Hanningfield
All Saints' Church, East Hanningfield, c.1960
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of East Hanningfield >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
HANNINGFIELD, (EAST) a small pleasant village, scattered round a green, 6 miles South East of Chelmsford, has in its parish 449 souls, and about 3,700 acres of land, generally fertile, and having a clayey soil.
Lord Petre is lord of the manors of East, South, and West Hanningfield; but a great part of the soil belongs to various free and copyholders.
They are called Haningfelda in Domesday survey; and they afterwards belonged to the Montchensy family, whose heiress carried them, in 1260, by marriage, to Hugh de Vere, second son of the Earl of Oxford, who had license to enlarge his park here. They afterwards passed to the Pembroke, Hasting, Beauchamp, and Neville families.
About 1630, they were sold by Henry Noville, Lord Abergavenny, to Lord Petre, of Writtle.
Claydons is a small subordinate manor in East Hanningfield, and in which J. Du Croz. Esq. has erected a handsome mansion called Great Claydons.
Ruins of the medieval All Saints Church burnt down in 1883.
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The village is commonly called East Hanningfield Tye; and about a mile south of it, is the Church, (All Saints,) which is an ancient fabric in the perpendicular style, and was roofed and thoroughly repaired in 1844, when the nave was newly fitted up with open benches, a new west gallery, etc. The interior has now a handsome appearance, and small organ. At the west end is a new wooden belfry containing time bells.
The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £13.15.7½d., and in 1831 at £417, is in the patronage and incumbency of tbe Rev. John Nottidge, M.A. The g1ebe is 27A.3R.35P.; and the tithes were commuted in 1844 for £557 per annum. The Church Land consists of 12A, at North Benfleet.
The poor widows of the parish have 25s. a. year from Lady Caeser's Charity.
Back to History of East Hanningfield