History of Aldham
St. Margaret's Church, Aldham
© Copyright Bikeboy contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Aldham >> Description of Aldham in 1933
Description of Aldham in 1933
ALDHAM is a village and parish, including Ford Street, 1 mile north from the Marks Tey Station of the London and North Eastern railway, 5½ west-by-north, from Colchester, and 5 east-north-east from Coggesball, in the Colchester division of the county, hundred of Lexden (Witham division), Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and rural district, Oolchester, Clacton and Halstead joint county court district, Coggeshall and Tey rural deanery, Colchester archdeaconry and Chelmsford diocese.
The church of St. Margaret and St, Catharine is a building of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, 1 mile from the site of the old one, and was erected and consecrated in 1855, all the material of the old church being used in the construction of the new. It consists of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch, and a western tower of the 14th century, with spire containing 2 bells. The wooden south porch, removed from the old church, is in a good state of preservation. There are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £410, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. P.E. Warrington and held since 1933 by the Rev. John Bertram Thomas Rudall.
The charities amount to £77 yearly, and include pensions to the inhabitants of four almshouses, erected and endowed by the Rev. Charles Bannatyne, formerly rector, together with Crape's charity and Love's gift.
A fair was formerly held on Easter Tuesday, but is now discontinued. On the side of the road near the church stands a memorial of dressed red granite, bearing the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War.
The trustees of the late Sir Thomas Charles Callis Western bart. who are lords of the manor, and Herbert James Bines esq. are the principal landowners.
The soil is light loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,864 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 of the civil parish was 431 and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 353, including the hamlet of Ford Street, which is on the road from Colchester to Halstead, near where is crosses the Colne.
Conveyance. Omnibuses pass through daily at frequent intervals for Halstead and Colchester.
Source: Kellys Directory 1933
Back to History of Aldham